Oklahoma's National Register of Historic Places

Use your browser's back button to return to the query.

ID Number 73001562
Historic Name KAW INDIAN AGENCY
Description of Significance THIS IS THE LAST INTACT BUILDING OF THE KAW AGENCY NEAR WASHUNGA. THE BUILDING WAS CONSTRUCTED IN 1873, SHORTLY AFTER THE KAW TRIBE ARRIVED AT THEIR NEW RESERVATION NORTH OF THE ARKANSAS RIVER. THIS SINGLE STORY GABLE FRONT BUILDING IS CONSTRUCTED OF NATIVE STONE. THE CENTRAL ENTRANCE IS LOCATED BENEATH A STONE ARCHWAY AND THERE IS A 2/2 WOOD WINDOW TO EACH SIDE OF THE WOOD PANELED FRONT DOOR. THE WINDOWS HAVE STONE SILLS AND LINTELS. THERE IS A BRICK SLOPE CHIMNEY. A REAR WOOD SIDED ADDITION WAS ADDED AT A LATER DATE. LISTED IN NATIONAL REGISTER 4/11/73.
Current Name WASHUNGA
Address NORTH OF THE ARKANSAS RIVER
City WASHUNGA VICINITY
County KAY
Lot
Block
Current Section 26
Township 27N
Range 4E
Type BUILDING
Historic Function GOVERNMENT
Current Function VACANT/ NOT IN USE
Area Signficance 1 HISTORIC-ABORIGINAL
Area Significance 2 POLITICS/GOVERNMENT
Date Prepared SEPT 1972
Year Built 1873
Original Site YES
Architect/Builder UNKNOWN
Architectural Style UNCOLLECTED
Roof Material WOOD
Wall Material STONE
Window Material WOOD
Door Material WOOD
Decorative Details NONE
Condition POOR
Comments
Restricted N